Disc golf is similar to regular golf in that it requires a very precise aim, as well as dexterity and nimble footwork.
But if you are a player, you might already know how important the right footwear will be to wear on the disc golf course to give you a surer footing for that decisive shot.
You might be struggling to find shoes that grip the ground well enough to improve your accuracy. Disc golf is a full-bodied sport, so you’ll need your feet to be anchored to provide your body with the torque to make that crucial shot.
This is where the right footwear will be crucially important for your aim. To get that right shot, you don’t want to be off-balance or leaning in a certain direction.
This is where having light footwear that hugs your feet from the base to the tip will be very important for getting your aim straight and true.
But where can you find the best disc golf shoes that will improve your game? What features and materials do the best shoes have? How durable should your shoes be? How much will you be looking to pay for a decent pair of disc golf shoes?
Well, if you are looking for the answer to these questions and a heck of a lot more, then we would suggest that you keep reading this article.
We cover some of the best disc golf shoes on the market, along with a buyer’s guide that will give you a great overview of what you’ll be looking for in your next pair of disc golf trainers.
Best Disc Golf Shoes
Our first shoe is one manufactured by the famous brand Adidas, who have gone above and beyond to make a solid trainer that is great for use on rough terrain, giving you that perfect anchoring.
These lie somewhere between hiking shoes and sportswear, which makes them very durable and long-lasting – introducing the Adidas Outdoor Men’s Terrex Swift R2 GTX.
This is made from synthetic and mesh material, which makes it both very strong and very breathable. This has great moisture-wicking properties, so you won’t have to worry about your feet slipping around inside your trainer.
This is great for getting that stable stance as you approach the disc net.
This has rubber soles, which will give you a great grip on even the most slippery terrain. If you are playing on shale or dry mud, this is a great set of trainers to have.
Disc golf is also played outdoors, but luckily for you, these trainers are made from decent weather-resistant materials, so you won’t need to worry about them getting damaged after a lot of plays on the field.
- These are great on the field, not only are they very weather resistant, but they are made from durable materials, both of which will hold fast against repeated strains.
- These shoes have compressed foam inside them, which makes for a very springy undersole. This is great for anyone who wants that extra bounce when it comes to playing.
- This model is very lightweight and very tough, which makes them great for very active hobbies like disc golf, regular golf and hiking.
- The price – these are a relatively affordable range of trainers, perfect for anyone just starting out in the game of disc golf who might be working to a budget.
- These shoes are a little bit too stubborn at times and might take a long while to break in.
This next trainer model is another made by Adidas (what can we say, they are a leading brand for a very good reason!) except this one is slightly thicker and more durable than our last model.
This is perfect for anyone who likes to play hardcore when it comes to disc golf – introducing the Adidas Outdoor Men’s Terrex AX2R.
This one has a very lightweight midsole, with plenty of cushioning that you can be sure will give you everything that you need to spend long hours in a field trying to perfect their shot in rain, sun or wind.
The heel of this one is well padded, absorbing a lot of the shocks in the heel, which is often where a lot of the strain is placed.
This shoe gives you plenty of support around the ankle and in the heel, which will ultimately prevent a lot of injury from occurring.
You can wear these on wet surfaces too, it will provide you with a very solid grip that will keep you in the game for much longer than your worn-out old trainers.
- This trainer has a wonderfully durable inner lining, giving you plenty of support and maneuverability, with plenty of room to wiggle your toes and get comfortable before that important shot.
- These shoes are fully proofed to all weather, so you won’t have to worry about playing in adverse conditions.
- This has rubber soles on the inside of its feet, perfect for providing grip on the inside and the outside of your feet. This not only gives the heel and toe plenty of support, but it will also give you plenty of bounce that is crucial for active pursuits.
- This shoe is very comfortable and heavy-duty, giving you everything that you need for a long-term fit.
- Some wearers have reported that the laces of this set of trainers can really dig into the top part of your foot. If you want that extra degree of comfort when performing, then we would recommend that you look for another trainer.
This next brand of trainers is an updated model of the Speedcross 3, with much-improved durability and performance. These shoes are very easy to clean, with anti-debris mesh that will keep your feet completely free of pesky rocks and dirt.
This comes with a rounded toe box that will give you a lot more wriggle-room when out on the course – introducing the Salomon Men’s Speedcross 4 Trail Running Shoes.
These shoes have the outward appearance of being heavy, but once they are on, you’ll actually find that they are pretty lightweight. You’ll hardly even notice that they’re on your feet once you’ve put them on.
This is great for disc golf, as you need your feet to feel both free and supported in the heel and the toe box.
- These shoes are probably the best for keeping out mud and other dirt. It comes with a special mesh that will prevent any unwanted debris from getting in and making your game very uncomfortable.
- This shoe will give you an improved level of comfort and support. It comes with an inner sleeve that is perfect for keeping your foot stable and secure for hours at a time.
- This shoe will promote the amount of control that you have over your foot. With better foot control comes better leg control, all of which adds up to an overall improved stance.
- These shoes are very lightweight, you will hardly know that they’re on your feet once you have started wearing them.
- This shoe is slightly narrower than some of the others on this list. This might leave the pro disc golf player feeling a little bit more restricted.
If you enjoy getting down and dirty with your disc golf game, then we would certainly suggest that you take a look at these shoes.
These shoes will provide you with that extra level of sturdiness, especially in the heel and ankle, which is where you need it the most – introducing the Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Waterproof Hiking Shoe.
This shoe has amazing breathability, with wire mesh in the foot and 5mm lugs that will keep you practically tethered to the ground for those all-important shots.
These provide you with decent ventilation, so you can be sure that any heat and sweat will be ejected from the shoe as you play.
This shoe has a great image, giving pro players that distinctive look when they are out on the green.
This comes with a mesh lining that is designed to specifically air-out all that uncomfortable foot sweat that makes a great game of disc golf suddenly very uncomfortable.
This offers you great traction, so you won’t have to worry about the earth coming away from under your feet.
- These shoes are a pair of tough mothers – with lugs that grip the earth underneath and smooth cotton on the inner lining that will make you very comfortable.
- These shoes come with EVA lining that is springy and bouncy, perfect for providing support for those with fallen arches who might experience increased pain after a long and hard disc golf game.
- The price – this is another great one for price, this is a top-of-the-range sports shoe in all but the price. Snap it up now before the manufacturer cottons on.
- This shoe comes with a leather toe cap, which is great for protecting you when your toe inevitably drags in the dirt.
- This shoe has been reported by some users as being slightly heavy, so if you want a shoe that feels like cloth around your foot, then you should maybe try one of our other models.
Our final pair of shoes is a top entry, great for hiking and any mid-range activity sport such as disc golf.
You can buy these in several stylish and muted colors, with a waterproof membrane around the outside that will make it suitable for any weather – introducing the Keen Men’s Targhee II Hiking Shoe.
This shoe is a bestseller, and we can see the reason why! This is very dynamic and lightweight, which makes it ideal for intense movement and the various twists and turns that you inevitably get with sports such as disc golf.
This shoe both lets perspiration out of the inside of your shoe and stops any rainwater or spray from getting in.
This show is ideal to wear if you are playing a summer game of disc golf, not only allowing the foot to breathe, but ultimately giving you a lot more control over your ability to hurl the disc across the field.
This comes with great lugs that you can use for multi-directional grip over any surface, which is great for a game such as disc golf.
- These shoes are very, very comfortable – this is the perfect footwear to have if you are looking to stay out on the field for hours at a time, perfecting your throwing stance.
- These shoes have a leather mesh upper, which is both a great material for preventing moisture buildup and will also keep your shoes very durable.
- These have very impressive lugs that will allow you to get a multi-direction grip on most types of terrain. They are the best trainers to wear for slippery tarmac surfaces.
- These are shoes that will last you for months, maybe even years if taken care of properly. The leather in the housing and the synthetic plastic on the outside will give you everything you need for great support.
- These shoes are not great for the summer season, as they are rather bulky and can result in increased foot sweat that might impede your game.
When shopping for your next pair of trainers for disc golf, you’ll need to make sure they have certain properties, such as allowing the foot to breathe, giving you a better grip on a variety of different surfaces and giving you comfort and support in the heel and sole.
Here are a few things that you should be mindful of when you next buy a pair of trainers:
How Breathable Are They?
Having trainers that expel air from the holes on the outside is very important for ventilating your foot. Often feet get sweaty in the trainers which causes the foot to become less solid.
More sweat also results in more rashes and blisters, both of which could cause your game of disc golf to come to a premature end.
How Durable Are They?
As we all know, disc golf is a game that is played long and hard. You’ll want a shoe that can stand the test of time and last you for months of hardened use. This will also save you a considerable sum of money on buying replacement shoes.
How Weatherproof Are They?
Having shoes that you can use in any weather will be very important for your game of disc golf.
Ultimately rain, dirt and even prolonged exposure to sunshine will damage the quality of your shoes over time, which will then compromise their integrity.
Some of these shoes come with a mesh on the inside that will keep out the dirt and stones that can build up over some time. This will also make your disc golf game that much more comfortable to play.
How Heavy Are The Shoes?
This will definitely affect your stance and how you move across the disc golf course.
You’ll want something that feels very lightweight on your feet, giving you the confidence to make those decisive shots even in the most difficult circumstances.
You might have to find a compromise between heavy-duty shoes and ones that will allow you a more breathable mesh, which will often be lighter. You’ll just have to ask yourself which you value more: comfort or a long-lasting shoe.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Much Should You Pay For A Disc Golf Shoe?
Often, if you see any shoes that are below the $30 price mark, then they will not be worth buying, as they are probably very cheaply made.
Also, unless you are a professional, then you probably won’t want to pay any more than $200 for a pair of shoes, as this will probably be overkill.
We would recommend that you pay around $70-$100 for a decent pair of disc golf shoes. This way you can more or less guarantee that they’ll have all the basic features that you’ll need to keep you in the game for longer.
Our Final Say
We hope that our list of shoes has given you everything that you need to discern what the next pair of sneakers will be for your disc golf game. Remember: you don’t need to spend the earth on a pair of trainers to get all the necessities.