To get the best results when playing disc golf, you need to ensure that you use the right driver for the task. Unfortunately, there is no one-disc-fits-all when it comes to disc golf.
Your putters, midranges, and fairway drivers won’t be able to achieve the same results. It comes down to you as the disc golfer to know which disc you need to use for each situation.
Sometimes no matter how hard you throw, your fairway driver won’t be able to get those far reaching distances that you’re after.
To get the distances you need for some holes it’s recommended to use a distance driver. These discs have been designed to help you achieve impressive distances.
But there are so many different distance drivers to choose from on the market that it can often be confusing trying to decide which is the best disc golf driver for your needs.
We’ve researched and reviewed hundreds of different distant drivers to help you get the very best results from your game. So let’s take a look at the best disc golf driver to help you improve your disc golf game!
The Axiom Discs Proton Insanity distance driver will be able to help you improve your game. This particular distance driver features a unique design that sets it apart from other discs.
Whereas conventional distance driver discs tend to place bulky mass on the inner rim of the disc itself, the Insanity disc features a lighter rim. This helps to shift the weight outward to give you better focus on the outer rim of the distance driver.
There are so many great features of this Axiom Discs Proton Insanity distance driver. The GYRO rim adds weight to the outside edge of the disc for better rotational inertia.
The disc also features a narrow nose tip which is further away from the center of rotation. Because of these great aerodynamic features, the distance driver can fly even further than competitive distance driver discs.
What’s really great about this particular disc driver is that you can choose between 4 different weights. Choose between 150-159g, 160-165g, 165-170g, or 170-175g to find the distance driver disc that best suits your needs.
This stable-understable distance driver will allow you to achieve the impressive distances that you’re after.
This particular distance driver disc has been manufactured using a high durability plastic. It has been designed to withstand the toughest conditions.
So you won’t have to worry about your disc degrading over time. This distance driver will last you for many years to come. It is also available in a variety of vibrant colors to help you find it again if the disc goes astray.
- Varied weights – choose the weight that best suits your needs
- GYRO rim – features a unique disc design for better results
- Durable – constructed using high durability plastic to last you a lifetime
- Colors vary – you can’t actually choose the color disc you get
- AXIOM INSANITY - Whether you're looking for that sweet-spot worn disc flight, or you're looking to achieve bigger Inertia lines with less power, give the Axiom Insanity a shot.
- STABLE-UNDERSTABLE DRIVER - The Insanity is best described as a worn-in MVP Inertia, with slightly more high speed turn and a diminished fade.
- 18.5 MM CLASS - For average power throwers the Insanity will be remarkably straight, while high power throwers can execute precise flip and turnover lines with ease. Speed 9 | Glide 5 | Turn -2 | Fade 1.5
- PROTON PLASTIC - Axiom’s most premium look and performance material. Designed to withstand the roughest conditions with a wide selection of transparent candy colors.
- PDGA APPROVED - For all professional disc golf play
Innova is one of the best manufacturers of disc golf discs. The Innova Champion Discs Dragon distance driver is one of the best distance drivers to choose in terms of results.
This particular disc is great for new players who are just getting to grips with the disc golf sport.
The Dragon disc is also a great pick for water hazard shots. This particular disc has been designed so that it will float on the water, so you can easily retrieve it again.
Combined with a range of vibrant colors, you won’t have to worry about losing this distance driver while you’re out playing disc golf.
This particular distance driver comes with a range of great specs. These are speed 8, glide 5, turn -2, and fade 2. All of these specs combine to give you a powerful distance driver that will be the perfect fit for a beginner.
This particular distance driver is a reliable disc that will be a welcome addition to your collection.
You’ll find this distance driver super easy to use. It’s comfortable to hold in your hand, and is lightweight in nature. The lightweight distance driver gives you a lot of glide.
This helps beginners to reach their max distance, as well as helping more advanced disc golfers with their utility shots.
- Lightweight – delivers great glide to help you reach your best distances
- Floats – take risky water shots without worrying about losing your disc
- Comfortable – sits comfortably in your hand and is easy to use
- Colors vary – you can’t choose the color of the disc
- Best choice for: New players, Water hazard shots and Tailwind drives
- Lightweight distance driver that floats on water, extra grippe plastic; Is suitable for beginners and pros alike
- DX material offers widest selection of weights
- Speed 8, Glide 5, Turn -2 and Fade 2
- Colors May Vary
The Dynamic Discs Lucid Trespass distance driver is the ideal fit for a variety of users, regardless of your skill level. This particular distance driver will remain neutral while in flight.
It won’t flip over easily, and it also won’t be too stable. So you can achieve those great distances that you’re after to deliver some high speed powerful results.
What’s really great about this particular distance driver is that it’s been designed with a wide rim. This allows you to put all of your power behind the disc each time you throw it.
You’ll be able to break through any obstacles that stand in your disc’s way to reach even further distances.
Another great feature of this Lucid Trespass distance driver disc is its durability. It’s sturdy enough to help you break through any obstacles that stand in the way of your disc golf goals.
All while helping the disc to maintain its original flight characteristics! The translucent blend is capable of taking quite a beating. So you can rest assured that this distance driver will last you for many years to come.
This particular distance disc comes with a range of great specs. These include speed 12, glide 5, turn 0.5, and fade 3. The Dynamics Discs Lucid Trespass distance driver has a maximum weight of 175g.
- Versatile – suitable for use by beginners and advanced disc golfers alike
- Durable – can power through obstacles without damaging the original flight characteristics
- Great specs – speed 12, glide 5, turn 0.5, fade 3
- Reflective – some users felt that this wasn’t as reflective as some competitive discs
- MEANT FOR ALL- The Dynamic Discs Hybrid Trespass is the high-speed driver for the masses. It is very neutral in its flight, not being too stable or flipping over.
- POWER DRIVER- The wide rim of the Hybrid Trespass is able to take all the power that you can throw at it and just keep gliding to new distances. The Trespass will allow you to break through all obstacles and explore new territory in your distance drives.
- DURABLE- The Dynamic Discs Hybrid Trespass will allow you to break through all obstacles and explore new territory in your distance drives. This translucent blend can take a beating and maintain the original flight characteristics of the disc for many rounds of disc golf.
- FLIGHT RATINGS- The Dynamic Discs Hybrid Trespass features flight ratings of: Speed: 12 Glide: 5 Turn: 0.5 Fade: 3 and a maximum weight of 175g.
- 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE- If you are not satisfied with this product, return it for a refund!
The Yikun Twin Swords distance driver is another great pick to add to your disc golf collection. This particular disc allows you to choose between 3 great colors: red, blue, and golden.
This gives you a lot more choice than some competitive brands do! Perfect if you want to get a particular color for your disc collection.
This particular distance driver features a range of great specs. These are speed 12, glide 5, turn 0, and fade 2. These great specs combine for a fast disc that gives you the comfortable grip you need for better, more consistent results.
Another great feature of this comfortable grip is that it’s suitable for all weather play. So you won’t have to worry about dropping the distance driver if you have to use it in the rain!
What’s really great about the Yikun Twin Swords distance driver is that it’s made using premium plastic. It combines two different premium blends for different parts for the disc for superior performance.
The core and rim parts have different densities to give the distance driver disc a larger rotational inertia than other competitive disc golf discs.
Another great feature of this distance driver is that it’s PDGA approved. This means the disc has been built to the PDGA size and weight regulations.
So you can rest assured that this disc golf disc is suitable for use with competitions.
- Color choice – choose between red, blue, and golden
- Great specs – speed 12, glide 5, turn 0, fade 2
- PDGA approved – meets the size and weight regulations of the PDGA
- Experience – may be better suited to disc golfers with experience
- Double Ring SHELL Overmold Technology | Twin Swords is a stable distance driver made in a new technology. This fast driver with great grip is ideal for all weather play and forehand throws
- Tortoise line premium plastic | Twin Swords is available in premium plastic. This plastic combines two parts of premium blends (core part and rim part). The rim part plastic has higher density than the core part, which provides discs with larger rotational inertia than traditional golf discs
- Flight Rating | Speed=12, Glide=5, Turn=-1, Fade=2, Diameter=8.25in
- PDGA APPROVED | PDGA Approved and built to standard PDGA size and weight regulation
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE | We offer a 100% money back guarantee in case of you are not happy with the product for any reason
The Discraft Zeus distance driver is one of the more popular choices for passionate disc golfers around the world. This particular distance driver packs a punch and comes with a range of great specs.
These include speed 12, glide 5, turn -1, and fade 3. All of these specs combine for a powerful distance driver that will help you smash through your personal bests.
Another great feature of this particular distance driver disc is that you can choose between 2 different weights. Choose between 170-172g and 173-174g. This allows you to choose the distance driver that best suits your needs.
This particular distance driver disc has been manufactured using ESP plastic. This makes the Zeus disc highly durable. This type of plastic also gives you a great grip.
The Zeus has been built to be a pro-caliber disc that delivers high performance.
What’s really great about the Zeus disc is that it delivers consistent results every time. The Zeus gives you more glide than you expect, combining with high speeds to take your results to the next level.
- Great specs – speed 12, glide 5, turn -1, fade 3
- 2 weights – choose between 170-172g or 173-174g
- Durable – makes use of ESP plastic for even better results
- Color varies – you can’t choose what color disc you get
Choosing between all the distance drivers available on the market can be a real challenge. Especially if you’re new to the sport! It may be tempting to just opt for the cheapest golf disc driver that you can find.
However, there’s no way to guarantee that your money will have been well spent. You may end up having to spend twice as much money as you want to in order to find the right distance driver for your needs.
We’ve put together this helpful buyer’s guide to give you all the information you need to find the best disc golf driver to improve your game.
As long as your preferred distance driver has all of these features covered, then you can rest assured that it will be perfect for your needs.
Take a look at everything you need to know about distance drivers below, or skip ahead to the frequently asked questions!
The color of your disc golf driver is more important than you think. Especially if you’re throwing it over longer distances!
Sometimes your disc won’t go quite where you want it to, so you have to go looking for it in the underbrush. This job will be much easier if your distance driver is in a nice vibrant color that will be super easy to spot!
Another thing to bear in mind is that you can’t always choose the color of your distance driver disc.
So if you’re particularly worried about losing your disc once you’ve thrown it, you should opt for a model that allows you to choose the vibrant color you need.
Another important factor to consider is your budget. You will of course want to choose the best distance driver that you can afford.
However, there’s no need to splurge on the more expensive discs if you’re new to the sport. Especially if you’re worried about losing them!
You should think about what you need from your distance driver. If you’re more of a beginner, you can opt for one of the more reasonably priced discs on the market.
We’d suggest taking a look at the Innova Dragon. If you’re more of an experienced disc golfer, you can opt for a slightly more expensive disc such as the Discraft Zeus.
The weight of your distance driver plays an important role in how it flies. The heavier the disc, the more stability it has during headwinds.
However, it will also be trickier to control during tailwinds. If you’re a more experienced disc golfer, you can opt for the heavier discs as you will be able to better control them.
The ideal weight for an average user tends to be around 160g to 165g. This should be more than heavy enough for your needs.
Distance drivers are able to deliver some of the fastest speeds. The speed of your disc will be represented by numbers. For distance drivers, this tends to be between 8 and 15.
The higher the number, the more effort that’s required to get the disc to fly properly through the air.
If you’re more of a beginner, chances are you won’t be able to give the higher speeds the power they need to achieve their full potential.
We’d recommend opting for a speed of 8 for beginners so you can get the hang of the technique you need for the heavier distance drivers.
The glide number that you’ve noticed on your distance driver measures how long the disc will typically stay in the air for. Glide tends to be measured between 1 to 7, with 1 being the lowest amount of glide.
Distance drivers are capable of going further than some of the other disc golf disc designs, so you will need to choose a disc that comes with a higher glide number.
We’d recommend opting for a distance driver with a glide of 5 to get yourself started.
Another specification to bear in mind is how much turn your distance driver comes with. This basically refers to how much the disc turns once it’s been thrown.
Turn is usually displayed in numbers between 1 to -5. Discs that have a lower score of -5 will turn more during flight.
This turning will affect the flight of your distance driver. We’d recommend opting for a turn of either 0 or -1.
Just as a disc can turn at the start of a throw, it can also turn – or fade – at the end of a throw. This is what the fade measurement refers to: how much the disc fades to the left at the end of your throw.
This is typically measured between 0 to 5. The higher the number on your distance driver, the more it will fade.
When it comes to choosing the best distance driver for your needs, we’d recommend opting for either a fade of 2 or 3.
You will want to choose a distance driver disc that is durable. Especially if you’re using it in areas with plenty of obstacles. The more durable the plastic used, the longer your disc will last you.
Frequently asked questions
What is the best disc golf driver?
The best disc golf drivers are:
- Axiom Discs Proton Insanity Distance Driver
- Innova Champion Discs Dragon Distance Driver
- Dynamic Discs Lucid Trespass Distance Driver
- Yikun Twin Swords Distance Driver
- Discraft Zeus Distance Driver
Do heavier golf discs fly farther?
This will entirely depend on the situation. Lighter discs typically tend to fly further than heavier discs, especially if they’re caught in a tailwind.
The lighter weight means that the tailwind can carry the disc even further. However, heavier discs will fly further if they get caught in a headwind because they have better stability than lighter discs.
An average player will be able to get the best distance from discs that weigh between 160g to 165g.